Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry by designing and building advanced farm machines that utilize technology like computer vision and machine learning to enable farmers to understand and manage every plant. These machines help farmers to improve profitability, protects the environment by reducing pesticide use, and captures valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies pesticide only where needed, and can reduce pesticide use 90%.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying.
Blue River is based in Sunnyvale, CA and has 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
We’re seeking a talented Data Engineer specializing in building and maintaining production machine learning software platforms to join our team. Our machine learning platform helps manage the various components of the ML application development life cycle, starting from data ingestion, annotation, exploration to model training, deployment and monitoring. All of these components are interdisciplinary, so you will be working closely with roboticists and ML researchers in both defining interfaces and optimizing implementations to meet the final product specifications.
- Design and build updates to our data solutions supporting robotics and machine learning development cycle
- Develop and architect enhanced systems to enable rapid retrieval of imagery and time series data
- Promote standard methodologies in data modeling, storage, and processing
- Assess, benchmark and select new technologies to be added to the digital product portfolio.
- Help enable our users to find their data! Develop best practices for data access and queries.
- Work with product, ML scientists, roboticists, and software engineers to build a data platform that supports development of Intelligent Machines
Required Professional Skills & Experience:
- Expertise in data modeling for time series, spatial, and image data for analytic and operational use cases
- Strong Python programmer
- Experience with a diversity of datastores such as Redshift, Dynamo, Athena, Mongo, Postgres
- Experience developing ETL in a microservice architecture
- Data lifecycle management experience
- Experience with infrastructure as code, such as Terraform
- Self-motivated, ability to work both independently and in team environments
- Excellent communicator
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical subject area
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience working with high dimensional data: images, videos, point clouds, etc.
- Experience crafting data systems to support machine learning and robotics applications
- Experienced in data mining and visualization of large data sets
- Experience developing on Kubernetes based systems
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches (when we return to the office), flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.