Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry with ground-breaking computer-vision and deep learning based equipment. These machines are changing the future of farming by enabling farmers to optimize every plant in their fields. Our technology dramatically reduces the amount of chemicals used, improves farmer profitability, and collects valuable plant-by-plant data.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently-run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying
Our office is located in Sunnyvale, CA and is home to 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
We are looking for a passionate individual who is excited about developing groundbreaking products for farmers that promote environmental, economic, and social sustainability by using advanced technology to solve real problems.
In this role you will develop and communicate a deep understanding of our customer and their needs through in-depth research, identify and assess opportunities to create products, define and prioritize product initiatives, and collaborate with engineering to deliver these to the market.
- Build a deep empathy and understanding of both the customer and the market by developing and supporting qualitative and quantitative customer research including in person interviews, surveys, focus groups, and academic/government/industry data
- Translate customer needs and opportunities into products and features with clear, concise requirements that bring the product to life
- Identify, research, define, execute and prioritize product development initiatives in collaboration with cross-functional engineering teams balancing performance, complexity value, and speed to market
- Lead product development initiatives through their full cycle, from ideation to lab and field testing, to customer validation and ultimately commercialization
- Drive continuous improvement in the way we build product at Blue River
- Define objectives and key metrics, then measure and track progress towards achieving those objectives
- Collaborate with leadership on the long term product vision and roadmap
- Evaluate new market opportunities from the perspective of customer needs, product fit, and business opportunity
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a product manager in a technology company
- Enthusiasm for creating impactful products that empower users
- Proven ability to influence, collaborate, and engage with others from diverse backgrounds ranging from engineers, to computer vision researchers, to agronomists, to field technicians, to growers
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate technical product information in a clear, concise and creative manner
- Delivery focus and a strong understanding of the software development challenges faced by cross-functional engineering teams
- Strong organizational, planning and problem solving skills with an ability to resolve ambiguity and traverse between high level strategy and low-level details
- Growth mindset with ability to quickly learn and apply experience to new technologies, domains and problems
- BA/BS degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with or knowledge of agriculture, agricultural technology or equipment
- Experience with products that utilize Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Entrepreneurial experience taking a product from ideation to commercialization
- MBA or MSE
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.