We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team in the role of Data Engineer. This position supports the See and Spray team within Blue River and collaborates with multiple groups including field operations, data platform, labeling services, machine learning, software engineering, and product management. Our ideal candidate (you!) will design, develop and maintain data workflows in the cloud supporting the development of improved machine learning models for our See and Spray machines. You will work closely with the ML Engineering team and the robotics software engineering team to build software to perform machine learning at scale.
The most important requirement is that you are with an appetite tolearn and make an impact! You are results driven and believe that delivering quickly and iterating on the solution is the most effective development pattern. You work collaboratively with your teammates and aren’t afraid to ask questions and challenge assumptions.
You have an analytical mind and love to work with a lot of freedom to design and implement the solution. You have great data modeling skills and are not afraid to integrate unstructured data from different sources. You are also passionate about your data pipelines transferring information correctly and efficiently.
Your end users are CVML engineers and data scientists so, specifically Deep Learning data pipelines and workflows is considered a big plus but is not required.
We can’t wait for you to join the team!
- Collaborate with the data platform team to design and develop new data pipelines designed to improve the performance of the machine learning model.
- Design, develop and maintain new and existing workflows in Kubeflow to support machine learning training at scale
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of internal machine learning code and libraries
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of internal tools designed for data introspection and labeling
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipeline workflows for See and Spray
- Build prototypes and workflows to try out new ideas in a creative and iterative manner
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study (e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, etc)
- New college grads are welcome to apply!
- Solid coding skills in python (required) and C++ (required) and Go (desired)
- Experience with working with both SQL and non-SQL databases like MongoDB
- Experience working with source control technologies like Git and Gerrit
- Experience working with cloud technologies like AMS Lambda, S3, and Kubeflow
- Experience working in a fast-paced, iterative startup environment with fluid requirements
- Ability to speak to both engineers and product managers and clearly communicate requirements and results to various partners in the organization
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; able to continually prioritize critical action items.
- Masters degree or PhD is preferred (e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, etc)
- Experience with Pytorch, Tensorflow, or Keras, training and running machine learning models
- Familiarity with agriculture technology, agronomy or farming
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model starting mid-July 2021 as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.