Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry by designing and building advanced farm machines that utilize technology like computer vision and machine learning to enable farmers to understand and manage every plant. These machines help farmers to improve profitability, protects the environment by reducing pesticide use, and captures valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies pesticide only where needed, and can reduce pesticide use 90%.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying.
Blue River is based in Sunnyvale, CA and has 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
We are looking for a highly skilled and upbeat person to play a key role in improving and supporting our progressive robotic and vision-based systems for agriculture. You will be joining an extraordinary research and engineering team to improve existing systems and push the boundaries of this technology. We provide a high degree of autonomy - you will have the opportunity to influence the development and implementation of our world changing products. The role will include work in the following areas:
- Implementing deep-learning-based classification systems for identifying, characterizing, and classifying plants
- Exploring and developing new methods for improving detection performance and improving the runtime of inference
- Working with internal customers to develop machine learning pipelines for computer vision based classification tasks
- Helping to architect and develop the data pipeline and platform supporting machine learning
- Team leading duties and mentorship for other members of the machine learning group
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Computer Vision or Machine Learning, with focus on Deep Learning and machine vision applications
- 5+ years developing algorithms and solving problems in computer vision and machine learning
- 5+ years in developing machine learning systems, with extensive experience on deep learning systems
- Proven ability deploying machine learning systems to solve real-world problems
- Advanced proficiency in C++, Python, or related tools and system SW architecture
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Excellent communication and teaming skills
- Ability to provide technical leadership for machine learning engineers
- Passion to solve difficult problems
- Experience in implementing and improving deep learning systems and moving to real-time processing on embedded hardware
- In-depth knowledge of deep learning frameworks including Tensorflow, PyTorch, MxNet, Caffe, Caffe2
- Hands-on work on managing and doing GPU-based computing on large data sets
- Leadership or management experience
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model starting mid-July 2021 as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.