We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
- Quantify and monitor Blue River’s data holding; perform exploratory analytics to inform partners and decision makers on their data collection strategies
- Measure the efficacy of our data program; Work with product management in defining and tracking metrics for each data collection, curation, and labeling efforts
- Work with software engineers to design and productize the experimental and analytical pipelines and define the training and test sets used to evaluate our Machine Learning models
- Work with other data scientists, ML engineers, and roboticists in defining experiments to refine our human annotation and data enrichment process
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in statistics, math, physics, or other quantitative fields
- 3+ years of professional experience in a Data Science or Machine Learning role
- Strong familiarity with the Python data science ecosystem: Jupyter notebook, numpy, scipy, sklearn, pandas, matplotlib
- Depth of knowledge in hypothesis testing, non-parametric statistics (e.g., Bootstrap, Jackknife), and uncertainty quantification
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and presentation skills
- Storyteller of scientific facts; experiences in communicating highly technical subjects to business partners
- Experience building data models and visualizing analytics
- Proficient with MongoDB, SQL, Hive, and Spark
- Comfortable working with diverse, multi-disciplinary teams, across multiple timezones
- Self motivated and driven independent problem solver
- Experience with experimentations in production ML systems: i.e., live system that turns data into model updates
- Experience working in multiple programming languages
- Familiarity with ML Frameworks and workflow management systems: TensorFlow, PyTorch, MLFlow etc.
- Experience with image processing libraries and toolkits
- Experience with AWS, kubernetes and kubeflow pipeline.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.