We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are based in Sunnyvale, CA - but we are not contained to an office or our lab - the farm and field are also our playground. We are proud of our deeply collaborative culture at Blue River. We are a people-first company, and everyone here makes a tangible difference. We are passionate about what we’re creating and can promise you, if you join, that your voice and contributions will matter. Are you ready to embark on the greatest adventure of your career?
We’re seeking a talented Software Engineer specializing in building and maintaining production machine learning software platforms to join our Data Platform team. Blue River’s machine learning platform supports various components of the ML application development life cycle, starting from data ingestion, annotation, exploration to model training, deployment and monitoring. All of these components are interdisciplinary so you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with roboticists and ML researchers in both defining interfaces and optimizing implementations to meet the final product specifications.
A well qualified candidate for this position will love prototyping and have the ability to turn that prototype into a high quality production feature. Implementing complex distributed systems will excite you and you’ll have an insatiable appetite for new information such as new ML frameworks or new database technologies.
- Develop and maintain software defined infrastructure for the data and ML platform
- Work with software engineers, machine learning scientists, and roboticists to develop the system monitoring infrastructure
- Maintain system SLAs with monitoring and alert systems
- Build software tools to automate our infrastructure maintenance and support
Required Professional Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or quantitative disciplines
- 5+ years experience in cloud infrastructure: AWS, GCP, Azure
- 2+ years software engineering experience
- Experience with the Kubernetes ecosystem. (e.g., Kustomize, Kops, and Helm)
- Experience with configuration management (e.g., Terraform, Ansible)
- Experience with Prometheus, Thanos, and other monitoring systems
- Familiarity with modern networking constructs: VPC, VPN, and Service Mesh
- Deep understanding of authentication and authorization systems
- Fluent in at least one programming language: e.g., Golang, Python, or C
- Fluent in software build systems: Bazel, Cmake, Make.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Familiar MLOps and ML/data ecosystem: Airflow, Kubeflow, SageMaker, MetaFlow
- Experience with Golang, C++, or other compiled language
- Comfortable implementing custom packages and operators for Kubernetes, Terraform, or other open source infrastructure systems
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.