We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
Blue River’s Field Operations team is seeking a Data Capture Specialist to provide temporary, seasonal support onsite at various construction sites throughout the United States. This work will be approximately 6-9 months in duration and will require a mix of construction jobsite and basic technology / software experience. It is possible the work could extend and/or convert to a permanent position.
This is an exciting opportunity to support field data collection for our cutting edge construction vehicle machine learning technology and gain valuable experience within the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Vision fields.
- Responsible for the daily collection of field data in various construction site locations within the assigned region; traveling between sites for scheduled data capture in partnership with John Deere dealers, customer-collaborators and the Field Engineering team
- Provide accurate data collection tracking on a daily basis utilizing software
- Ensure quality image capture of construction equipment, humans in the construction site environment, and other relevant images for machine learning are completed as per test plan requirements
- Complete consistent, timely transmission of data to centralized repository for utilization by various Blue River and/or Deere teams
- Effectively manage daily / weekly work schedule accounting for travel time, site availability, and weather variables to maximize productivity
- Represent Blue River and John Deere professionally, exhibiting great customer service, exemplary personal conduct, professional appearance and demeanor
- Work hours will vary as data capture requirements migrate between day/night/dawn/dusk and unique weather conditions. 8-10 hours days will be typical, including travel time to and from job sites. Saturday/Sunday availability may be required periodically for customer-collaborator worksite access.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Experience in construction operations including exposure to construction jobsite development or material handling, or any other relative work experience with construction equipment within construction, agriculture or forestry
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs; capable of working in physically demanding construction site locations for extended periods of time, during the heat of summer and the cold of winter
- Capable of using an interactive touch screen to set values, enter information via keyboard, and follow a series of steps by memory to set the machine requirements
- Familiarity with Google and Windows software for data management; eg. Sheets, Excel
- Ability to work autonomously; capable of completing work with little to no direct supervision while meeting project timelines
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills; fluent English speaker and writer
- Strong customer support & teamwork skills
- Able to travel frequently between job locations across the U.S.; vehicle, air travel, accommodations, etc. will be provided or reimbursed by Blue River
Preferred Skills & Experience (not required):
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system or ability to develop basic coding skills
- Experience in capturing / recording imagery data
- Experience or knowledge of precision construction equipment
- Experience or knowledge of Computer Vision technology
- Mechanical aptitude and comfortable working with basic hand tools
- Spanish speaking ability is a plus
This position is a full time temporary, non-exempt role and is not eligible for sponsorship or third party employment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.