We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
As a Systems Test Engineer you will collaborate with your teammates to deliver See and Spray to market. The schedule is ambitious and the agricultural season waits for nothing and nobody. The system needs to meet the high performance and reliability standards that our customers expect and rely on. We tackle our objectives with multi-functional engineering teams consisting of systems and embedded software, test and QA, mechatronics, computer vision and machine learning engineers. Our teams are empowered to figure out how to overcome challenges, plan and prioritize work – everyone is a key contributor.
This person will serve as the lead for machine bring up, debugging, documenting, prototyping, and system testing of new technologies that will be revolutionary in robotic and computer vision based systems for agriculture. The ideal candidate will have system-level curiosity, enjoy a fast-paced environment and will deliver results regardless of challenges.
Key responsibilities include:
- Build detailed test plans; compile and analyze test results. Formulate conclusions and make recommendations
- Work closely with all Blue River and John Deere engineering teams to establish holistic tests and drive feature improvements.
- Plan and guide the integration of complex multi-disciplinary robotic systems, collaborating with many groups of engineers within Blue River and John Deere.
- Own system health and iterative improvement process. Shepherd the project through technology readiness and integration readiness maturation.
- Evaluates product failures using advanced engineering techniques.
- Collaborate with the systems team, QA team, and software team on developing highly functioning system processes and program content around System Verification and Validation.
- Integrate and/or install of software at a system and subsystem (component) level.
Professional Skills and Experience
- BS or higher in Engineering
- 5+ years of experience testing high tech vehicle, robotic, or agricultural products
- Linux familiarity, including script programming
- CANbus networking and Ethernet networking
- Experience translating system and customer needs into testable requirements
- Solid understanding of software complexity and system architecture interaction
- Advanced experience with complex systems development
- Capable of creating the documentation for system validation; experienced in complex systems support
- Scrappiness and perseverance; demonstrated ability to be successful in uncertain situations, and high degree of agility and creativity to adapt and react to learnings
- Microcontroller programming experience, such as Parker and Danfoss.
- Excellent brainstorming, creative thinking and communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to operate, plan and execute, within the presence of uncertainty
- Comfortable working independently and within teams
- Maintain good rapport with customers and vendors
- Familiarity with maintenance, repair, and reprogramming of heavy equipment
- Experience within agriculture operations, operating various types of machinery
- Design of agricultural equipment
- Experience with code source, build management and deployment systems (Github/Gerrit, Jenkins, Artifactory)
- Skills in Python and C++.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.