Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry by designing and building advanced farm machines that utilize technology like computer vision and machine learning to enable farmers to understand and manage every plant. These machines help farmers to improve profitability, protects the environment by reducing pesticide use, and captures valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies pesticide only where needed, and can reduce pesticide use 90%.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying.
Blue River is based in Sunnyvale, CA and has 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are seeking a Machine Learning Engineer to join an exciting new program that sits at the intersection of agriculture, machine learning, and robotics. Details are confidential but, similar to Blue River’s existing See & Spray product, this program has tremendous potential to help farmers, to shape global farming practices, and to have a major impact on one of America’s most iconic brands. If that sounds interesting, please read on:
- Implementing deep-learning-based classification systems for identifying, characterizing, and classifying various farm-related objects using images and videos
- Exploring and developing new methods for improving detection performance and increasing the speed of processing
- Working with the Software team to transition processing from desktop/server class machines to real-time, field robotic systems
- Work with systems software engineers to help architect and develop data processing and annotation pipelines for continuous system monitoring and improvement
Required Professional Skills & Experience:
- Master’s or PhD Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, graduate degree preferred
- 5+ years developing algorithms and solving problems in computer vision/perception
- 3+ years in developing machine learning systems, with extensive experience on deep learning systems (Tensorflow preferred)
- Adept with the latest research in perception, machine learning, deep learning and robotics. Someone active in community reading conference research papers
- Charismatic and dynamic personality who can brainstorm new ideas, help inculcate a new dimensional of thinking to the team
- Experience in working with robotics systems that uses perception and AI components is a plus.
- Advanced proficiency in Python, OpenCV, PyTorch, and related tools
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Excellent communication and teaming skills
- Passion to solve difficult problems in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Comfortable working in a dynamic start-up environment; ability to “roll-up your sleeves” and lead by example, when needed
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with autonomous vehicles
- Experience in implementing and improving deep learning systems and moving to real-time processing on embedded hardware
- In-depth knowledge robotics libraries such as ROS
- Hands-on work on managing and doing GPU-based computing on large data sets
- Have shipped a commercial product/system
- Leadership or management experience
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.