Field Data Capture Specialist / Crop Scout / Farm Hand
About Blue River
Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry by designing and building advanced farm machines that utilize computer vision and machine learning to enable farmers to understand and manage every plant. These machines help farmers to improve profitability, protect the environment by reducing pesticide use, and capture valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies pesticide only where needed, and can reduce pesticide use 90%.
Acquired by John Deere in 2017 but still run as an independently-run subsidiary, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying.
Blue River is based in Sunnyvale, CA and has 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles, precision agriculture and agronomy. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
Blue River’s Field Operations team is seeking several Data Capture Specialists to provide temporary, seasonal support onsite at various grower sites throughout the Midwestern and Southern United States. This work will be approximately 3 months in duration and will require a mix of crop management, agriculture equipment knowledge and basic technology experience. This role will require extensive travel between job locations across the U.S. Air travel, vehicle, lodging and meals will be paid or compensated by Blue River. The Ability and willingness to work various shifts during day and night and operate a ¾ ton or 1 ton truck with trailer effectively is required.
This is an exciting opportunity to support field testing of our cutting edge technology and gain valuable experience within the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Vision fields.
- Responsible for the daily collection of field data (Image capturing) at various grower site locations / assigned regions
- Travel Weekly/Nightly between job locations across the U.S.; air travel, vehicle, lodging and meals will be compensated by Blue River
- Available Monday through Saturday for 8-10 hours daily; this includes travel time to and from job sites. Optional Sunday availability may be required as needed.
- Ensure quality image captures are completed as per test plan requirements
- Provide accurate data collection on a daily basis
- Complete consistent, timely transmission of data to centralized repository
- Effectively manage daily / weekly work schedule accounting for travel time and weather variables to maximize productivity
- Maintain and operate equipment with a high degree of attention to safety and care of equipment
- Represent Blue River and John Deere professionally, exhibiting great customer service and exemplary personal conduct
- Ability to drive a ¾ ton or 1 ton truck with trailer attached
Required Skills & Experience:
- Experience in agriculture operations - Farm Hand or Crop Scouting a plus
- Strong customer support & teamwork skills; able to represent both Blue River Technology and John Deere in a professional manner at all times
- Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs; capable of working in a physically demanding grower site locations for extended periods of time
- Capable of using an interactive touch screen to set values, enter information via keyboard, and follow a series of steps by memory to set the machine requirements
- Ability to work very autonomously; capable of completing work with little to no direct supervision while meeting project timelines
- Familiarity with Windows software for data management; eg. Microsoft Excel
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills; fluent English speaker and writer
- Experience operating various types of machinery
- Clean driving record
This position is a full time temporary, non-exempt role and is not eligible for sponsorship or third party employment. Compensation is hourly, and significant overtime opportunities may exist.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.