We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team in the role of Data Scientist. This position supports the See and Spray team within Blue River and interacts with multiple groups within Blue River including field operations, data platform, labeling services, machine learning, software engineering, and product management. Our ideal candidate (you!) will work with internal and external partners to analyze data from our fleet of AI enabled farming vehicles and turn the raw data into meaningful insights and tangible product improvements. You will work very closely with the Machine Learning, Product Management and Software Engineering teams at Blue River to answer data driven questions, define and implement new data flows, and optimize existing data flows.
- Extract and organize data stored in various databases including MongoDB, relational databases, and data lake
- Develop analysis tools and code required to conduct research and data driven analysis
- Analyze data from the fleet of smart AI enabled farming machines and derive product insights
- Work closely with the machine learning, software, product management and data platform teams within Blue River to identify and answer key questions requiring deep data analysis
- Implement algorithms that extract information from machine-generated data and analyze it in an efficient manner
- Develop and improve existing workflows for machine learning including labeling, active learning, training/test set development cadence, model release criteria, and data quality
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study (e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, etc)
- 2+ years building and implementing Data Science models
- Solid coding skills in python (required) and C++ (strongly desired)
- Experience with working with both SQL and non-SQL databases like MongoDB
- Experience working with Git and Gerrit
- Experience working with cloud technologies like EMR, Kubeflow, Athena, jupyter notebooks
- Experience working in a fast-paced, iterative startup environment with constantly evolving requirements
- Excellent communication skills; able to speak to both engineers and product managers and clearly communicate requirements and results to various partners in the organization
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; able to continually prioritize critical action items and deliverables
- Masters degree or PhD is strongly preferred (e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, etc)
- Experience with PyTorch, training and running machine learning models
- Experience with business intelligence tools (e.g. tableau)
- Familiarity with agriculture technology, agronomy or farming
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model starting mid-July 2021 as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.