We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
Our Vehicle Autonomy Team is looking for a highly skilled System Test Engineer to deliver the promise of autonomy to the world’s farm fields. As a System Test Engineer, you will be responsible for delivering trust in our autonomous solutions. We are looking for someone who thrives solving unconstrained problems, enjoys probing systems for vulnerabilities, and has a history of breaking things with the intent to make them better. In this role you will collaborate with your world-class team to define, develop, and deliver the test automation framework based on antagonistic cases you uncover with the goal of providing a safe and predictable product to our customer. The schedule is ambitious and the agricultural season waits for no one. We tackle our objectives with multi-functional engineering teams consisting of systems and embedded software, test and QA, mechatronics, computer vision and machine learning engineers. Our team is empowered to figure out how to overcome challenges, plan and prioritize work – everyone is a key contributor.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop test programs that ensure performance, functional, and safety requirements are met for our autonomous systems
- Deploy exploratory methods to uncover system weakness then create virtual world simulation-based tests that capture these conditions to repeatedly and automated test against
- Work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary robotic systems and software engineers within Blue River and John Deere to help interpret test outcomes.
- Create and maintain dashboards to allow others to quickly understand test case performance and rapidly iterate on solutions to identified issues. Document results to assist development teams in prioritizing work based on data driven outcomes.
- Create new test methodology to increase efficiency and reduce demand on physical testing.
- Continuously introspect identified test libraries and use cases for gaps and proactively close them using advanced engineering best practices.
- Generate adversarial test scenarios based on thorough and methodical system evaluation; write scripts to automate testing against those cases.
Professional Skills and Experience
- BS or higher in Engineering or technical field such as: Computer Science, Robotics, Physics or Data Science.
- 5+ years of experience testing, troubleshooting, or debugging highly autonomous or technical air/ground/space vehicles
- 3-5 years of software testing experience with C/C++, C#, Python3, Shell scripting; capable of hands on coding to develop and modify code associated with test and test automation
- Linux familiarity, including script programming
- Experience designing and implementing automated testing processes and designing/maintaining test infrastructure
- Experience translating system and customer needs into testable requirements
- Solid understanding of software complexity and system architecture interaction
- Scrappiness and perseverance; demonstrated ability to be successful in uncertain situations, and high degree of agility and creativity to adapt and react to learnings
- Experience with Computer Vision / Machine Learning,
- Autonomous Vehicle testing experience
- Familiar with ROS or ROS2 highly desirable
- Excellent brainstorming, creative thinking and communication skills
- Ability to operate, plan and execute, within the presence of uncertainty
- Comfortable working independently and within teams
- Familiarity with version control and container tools such as GitHub & Docker
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or other related field
- Experience with code source, build management and deployment systems (Github/Gerrit, Jenkins, Artifactory)
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model starting mid-July 2021 as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.