Blue River Technology serves the agricultuaral industry by designing and building advanced farm machines that utilize computer vision and machine learning to enable farmers to understand and manage every plant. These machines help farmers to improve profitability, protect the environment by reducing pesticide use, and capture valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies herbicide only where needed, and can reduce herbicide use 90%.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly, and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to areas in agriculture beyond spraying.
Our office is located in Sunnyvale, CA with a satellite office in San Francisco, and is home to 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
Blue River’s Data and Machine Learning Platform team is growing and we currently have an opening for a Data Scientist to support our Data and Labeling program. The data and labeling program is a dynamic team consisting of Software and ML engineers, Data Scientists, Product Managers and Agronomy experts. High quality labeled data is the lifeblood of our computer vision products and this addition to our team will be a huge part of our success. In this role you will work closely with engineers and other data scientists and collaborate closely with the Computer Vision/AI teams to gain a deep understanding of our image and labeling data. You will be responsible for supporting the success of multiple computer vision and machine learning teams by providing analytical insights and recommendations to continually optimize the cost and quality of our labeled data.
- Work closely with the data platform and project teams to gain a deep understanding of Blue River data.
- Provide statistical analyses of Blue River’s data holding; perform exploratory analytics to inform stakeholders and decision makers on the cost and quality of data annotation efforts
- Measure the efficacy of our data program; Work with product management in defining and tracking metrics for our key activities
- Work with data scientists, software engineers and program teams to identify areas for improvement and implement new labeling strategies
- Make updates to and support our team on the day-to-day labeling management processes.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, statistics, physics, or other quantitative fields
- 2+ years of professional experience in a Data Science or Data Analytics role
- Strong Python skills and familiarity with the Python data science ecosystem: Jupyter notebook, numpy, scipy, sklearn, pandas, matplotlib
- Strong analytical/statistics skills including experience with hypothesis testing and experimental design
- Proficient with SQL
- Experience building data models and visualizing analytics
- Comfort/experience working in cross functional teams and troubleshooting problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Self motivated, independent thinker
- Master's Degree in computer science, statistics, physics, or other quantitative fields preferred.
- Experience working in multiple programming languages
- Storyteller of scientific facts; experiences in communicating highly technical subjects to business stakeholders
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (ie MongoDB)
- Experience working with and in cloud based environments (AWS, Kubeflow Jupyter Notebooks)
- Familiarity with Hive and Spark
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.