We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
As a Robotics Software Engineer, you will contribute to an exciting new program that sits at the intersection of agriculture, machine learning, and robotics.
Details are confidential, but as with Blue River's existing See & Spray product, this program has tremendous potential to help farmers, shape global farming practices, and reduce the environmental impact of agriculture.
As part of a small, focused team, you’ll design and write software to:
- Run and refine complex agricultural machines that unite vision-based deep learning, distributed computing, and precise sensing and actuation to reliably execute operations in the field
- Investigate and solve difficult, unsolved challenges in sensing, actuation, and autonomous operations to push machine performance forward
- Integrate a wide variety of sensing, compute, actuation, and user interface hardware and software to achieve machine performance goals
We adapt quickly and make things, and we’re looking for people who like to roll up their sleeves, want to think through tough problems, and welcome close collaboration across technical disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree in robotics, mechatronics, computer science, or related fields
- 5+ years of experience developing and deploying C++ software
- Experience with theory and practice of sensor fusion for diverse sensors, such as cameras, LIDAR, distance sensors, GPS, pressure/force sensors, etc.
- Understanding of robotics concepts such as kinematics, dynamics, control systems, signal processing, etc.
- Solid experience integrating and deploying software on complex electromechanical systems
- Excellent brainstorming, creative thinking, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently on tough problems while syncing with a larger team
- Solid knowledge of Python for robotics, data processing, and visualization
- Experience with ROS or other robotics-focused software packages
- Deep knowledge of Linux and its real-time/near-real-time flavors
- Experience working with/around agricultural or large machine forms
- History of working on physical robots in real-world environments
- Sufficient knowledge of embedded systems/electrical engineering to understand and use low-level sensor and actuator interfaces
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model starting mid-July 2021 as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.