About Blue River Technology
Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry with revolutionary computer-vision and deep learning-based equipment. These machines are changing the future of farming by enabling agricultural producers to optimize every plant in their fields. Our technology has the potential to reduce the amount of chemicals applied, improve profitability, and capture valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River Technology works together with John Deere, the world's largest farming equipment manufacturer, which means you’ll have the ability to impact agriculture across the globe.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-disciplinary collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots dirty in the field. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
Summary and Responsibilities
As a Senior Agronomist, you will support research activities for See & Spray™ technology in agronomic production systems. We work in multi-functional teams consisting of experienced product managers, roboticists, software engineers, agronomists, mechatronics engineers, and computer vision and machine learning scientists. As a member of the agronomy group, you play a vital role in these cross functional teams providing input on strategic field testing and agronomic outcomes. The position is based in Sunnyvale, CA with expectations of travel to the field and scientific meetings. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Creation of agronomic strategies and value propositions
- Development and execution of field-testing protocols
- Engagement with field testing collaborators that include industry partners, regulatory bodies, academic researchers, private research organizations, agricultural producers, and/or John Deere colleagues
- Management of contract employees for collection of field data
- Development of experiments to expand the application and value of See & Spray
- Analysis and summarization of experimental data leveraging cutting edge tools and methodologies
- Representation of Blue River Technology in the scientific community through professional memberships and presentation of research data
- 6+ years of experience and a PhD degree in agronomy, weed science, entomology, plant pathology, crop sciences, application technology, or related field
- Exceptional understanding of row crop production agriculture
- Practical knowledge of crop production inputs, seed genetics, and regulations governing their methods-of-use
- Record of publishing and/or presenting at scientific meetings
- Proven track record leading projects and managing people
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Practical experience in evaluation of chemical efficiency in field trials; specifically, fungicide and/or insecticide trials
- Expertise in Plant Pathology or Entomology
- Ability to operate machinery in the field
- Experience with Python
- Experience working with machine learning and computer vision technology
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave. In addition, we offer Paid Parental Leave, adoption benefits, subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi) and a collaborative and supportive environment that make Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing a Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home part time, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love.