We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are looking for a creative, empathetic, analytical, and collaborative individual who is excited about solving monumental challenges for farmers. Our solutions promote environmental and economic sustainability by using advanced technology to solve real problems.
In this role you will develop and communicate a deep understanding of our customer and their needs through in-depth research, identify and assess opportunities to create products, define and prioritize product initiatives, and collaborate with engineering to deliver these to the market.
- Build a deep empathy and understanding of both the customer and the market by developing and supporting qualitative and quantitative customer research including in person interviews, surveys, focus groups, and academic/government/industry data
- Translate customer needs and opportunities into products and features with clear, concise requirements that bring the product to life
- Identify, research, define, execute and prioritize product development in collaboration with cross-functional engineering teams balancing performance, complexity value, and speed to market
- Lead product development initiatives through their full cycle, from ideation to lab and field testing, to customer validation and ultimately commercialization
- Drive continuous improvement in the way we build products at Blue River
- Define objectives and key metrics, then measure and track progress towards achieving those objectives
- Collaborate with leadership on the long term product vision and strategy
- Evaluate new market opportunities from the perspective of customer needs, product fit, and business opportunity
- Candidates with 3-6 years of product management experience
- Enthusiasm for creating impactful products that empower users
- Proven ability to influence, collaborate, and engage with others from diverse backgrounds ranging from engineers (software, mechatronics, machine learning), to computer vision researchers, to agronomists, to field technicians, to growers
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate technical product information in a clear, concise and creative manner
- Delivery focus and a solid understanding of the software development challenges faced by cross-functional engineering teams
- Strong organizational, planning and problem solving skills with an ability to resolve ambiguity and traverse between high level strategy and low-level details
- Growth mindset with ability to quickly learn and apply experience to new technologies, domains and problems
- BA/BS degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Travel is required to customer locations and local test sites as needed. Travel within the United States is the majority with some international travel opportunities. Travel up to 25% or two weeks a month at peak season.
- Experience with or knowledge of agriculture, agricultural technology or equipment
- Experience with products that utilize Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Entrepreneurial experience taking a product from ideation to commercialization
- MBA or MSE
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.