We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
As a data platform technical product manager at Blue River, you will have the opportunity to lead product development and planning efforts for users across the organization. Current products include cloud infrastructure, data storage and labeling services, database schema management, data visualization, data processing pipelines, and machine learning pipelines. The Blue River product team is filled with results-oriented, self-starter individuals that can operate effectively in a constantly evolving environment. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work cross-functionally to put together the product roadmap for a technical team focused on building strategic and scalable solutions across all-things-data at Blue River
- Write Product Requirement Docs and collect feature requirements to inspire and focus engineering effort.
- Develop metrics to track the success of product initiatives, and analyze user behavior under their impact
- Build customer empathy by directly engaging with our customers to understand their needs
- Define, track and grade Objectives and Key Results (OKRs).
- Communicate product status, key issues, and launch plans to decision-makers across the organization.
- Work with engineers to understand technical options and tradeoffs, to ensure the delivered product meets user needs.
- Initiate and lead multiple concurrent product development efforts, working closely with engineering and organizational stakeholders
- Develop products and processes that foster and enable a data-informed product design and decision making practice.
- Lead the decision-making in data-related policy issues that come up with the evolving regulatory landscape.
- BA/BS in computer science, engineering, math, information systems, business administration or relevant areas.
- Experience working on products with a technical audience and focus on great developer experience
- Ability to build customer-centric use cases and set challenging goals and objectives.
- Experience employing quantitative, experimentation-based problem-solving skills, such as A/B testing, to make product improvements.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across highly technical, cross-functional teams.
- Experience developing products involving data and cloud processing pipelines, e.g., storage and access, data labeling, and machine learning training.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate technical subjects to their impact on business needs.
- Ability to listen to both end-users and engineers and able to make tradeoffs to get the right solution in the right timeline.
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with data-related governance and/or policy issues (e.g., GDPR)
- Experience with large scale data processing (e.g., BigQuery, Spark, Hive, DataFlow/Beam) or programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, Scala, Go).
- Experience with machine learning frameworks such as tensorflow, pytorch, mlflow etc.
- You are skilled in statistics and the science underlying data-informed techniques.
- Background in computer vision and machine learning.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.