Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry with ground-breaking computer-vision and deep learning based equipment. These machines are changing the future of farming by enabling farmers to optimize every plant in their fields. Our technology dramatically reduces the amount of chemicals used, improves farmer profitability, and collects valuable plant-by-plant data.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently-run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying
Our office is located in Sunnyvale, CA and is home to 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
The See & Spray DevOps team plays a key role in enabling us to deliver See & Spray technology to John Deere customers. Our pace of development is fast, but we are using engineering practices suitable to release a very reliable product to customers who depend on it for their livelihood.
In this role you will be responsible for managing and supervising the DevOps software team and related projects including creating and implementing software build, integration and development tools to scale and accelerate Software Development. You will support team members both day to day and in their professional development.
This position offers a blend of responsibilities from tactical work delivery through strategic planning and project management to supervision. You will have an opportunity to demonstrate both your deep technical skills as well as your people leadership skills to build a positive and motivating work environment for a team of empowered engineers.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage the DevOps engineering team. Conduct 1:1s, provide support and feedback.
- Facilitate planning, ensure backlog is maintained, provide status updates to other teams and leadership.
- Direct contribution to team results through designs, implementations and reviews.
- Work closely with other engineering managers, QA, cloud platform and IT teams to define and adjust the DevOps roadmap, balancing DevOps-internal work with development of new features to support product development.
- Look for opportunities to extend DevOps into DataOps and Machine Learning Ops such as model training and evaluation pipelines, model release processes, and rapid prototyping of data products.
- Ensure end to end security of all systems.
- Network infrastructure including VPNs to allow access to remote assets in the field.
- Experience building reliable and scalable CI/CD for software on devices and in the cloud (git, build automation tools like Buildkite or Jenkins, repository managers like Artifactory or Nexus).
- 5+ years of experience with AWS, specifically in VPC, S3, EC2, Route53, ALB/ELB/NLB.
- 5+ years of experience with Go or Python and Shell scripting languages.
- Knowledge in provisioning tools like Ansible, Cloudformation, Terraform
- 5+ years of experience in Ubuntu or any Linux system administration specifically in IPtables, systemd, DNS, port-forwarding, firewall, systemctl, ssh
- 5+ years of experience in networking technology/tools including TCP/IP, network protocols, Subnetting and VPN
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or proven experience
Nice to have skills:
- Knowledge of Bazel (or blaze) build tool or resourcefulness to pick it up.
- Docker, Docker networking, Swarm, Kubernetes or Rancher.
- Storage: AWS (EBS, EFS), NAS, SAN, docker thin pools, Linux (Logical volumes, mounts, filesystem resizing), persistent docker volumes.
- SW security including secrets management tool like Hashicorp Vault, SSH key rotation, Okta/LDAP for SSO etc.
- Develop in C/C++.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.