Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry by designing and building advanced farm machines that utilize computer vision and machine learning to enable farmers to understand and manage every plant. These machines help farmers to improve profitability, protect the environment by reducing pesticide use, and capture valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies pesticide only where needed, and can reduce pesticide use by 90%.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying.
Our office is located in Sunnyvale, CA and is home to 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
Blue River Technology is seeking a highly skilled Sr. Embedded Software Engineer to join our team. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to develop embedded software and systems for our computer vision-enabled agricultural products including the Bay Area’s highest density compute platform for robotics. Do you thrive in a fast-paced, innovative team environment and get energized about delivering solutions to technical challenges? If so, this role will be an outstanding next step in your career!
- Develop, enhance, and debug new and existing software applications, kernels, and device drivers for impactful robotics computing in C/C++ in a Linux environment
- Design ruggedized embedded software and systems in support of product development from feasibility through to production
- Work with all types of engineers to solve systems problems in a hands-on, fast paced environment
- Architect embedded systems and implement design standard methodologies
- Review hardware designs and conduct regular evaluation and tests of system functionality
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field required, Master’s Degree preferred
- 6+ years experience developing embedded software, including 2+ developing real-time/near real-time embedded software
- Strong Linux background in tuning real-time/near real-time applications, kernels, and device drivers for low latency
- Strong attention to detail with an eye towards test and continuous integration
- Desire and aim to collaborate as part of an agile team to deliver imaginative solutions
- Capability to organize and plan work to accomplish large initiatives collaboratively
- Expertise in systems architecture and optimizing systems to decrease peak and average latency
- Expertise with Linux security (mandatory access control, file system encryption, cgroups, capabilities, namespaces)
- Experience with cameras, camera sensors, and camera interfaces (e.g. V4L2, libargus and MIPI CSI-2)
- Experience with CAN or Ethernet network stacks
- Comfortable with test equipment - logic analyzers, digital storage oscilloscope, etc.
- Experience with middleware such as ROS and other robotics-focused software packages
- Experience with python and/or bash scripting
- Experience in development on ARM
We value a variety of voices. You don’t need to check every box on this list to apply.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.