Position Agronomy Intern
Location Greenville, Mississippi
About Blue River Technology
Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry with revolutionary computer-vision and deep learning-based equipment. These machines are changing the future of farming by enabling agricultural producers to optimize every plant in their fields. Our technology has the potential to reduce the amount of chemicals applied, improve profitability, and capture valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River Technology is an independently run subsidiary of Deere & Company based in Sunnyvale, CA.
Summary and Responsibilities
The Agronomy Intern will support research activities for See & Spray™ technology with a focus on weed control in soybean, cotton, and corn production systems. The internship will be located in Greenville, MS and report to the Senior Agronomist at Blue River Technology. The intern will also work closely with the research staff at Stoneville R&D, Inc. The internship involves field trial research that will include, but not limited to, work in the following areas:
- Setup of equipment and materials for See & Spray applications
- General maintenance of research trials, including hand weeding
- Evaluation of weed control trials that include plant counts and visual assessments
The anticipated start date of the three-month internship is May 2022, with work extending into August 2022. Start and end dates can be flexible based on the availability of the candidate. The internship is full-time during the 3-month period with expectations of working 40-60 hours per week. If overnight travel is required away from the Greenville, MS area, lodging and additional expenses can be reimbursed. Several short-term housing opportunities exist in Greenville, MS with help available to identify housing. In addition, Blue River Technology will provide a monthly housing stipend to help support the cost of living in Greenville, MS.
- Current undergraduate student pursuing a degree in agronomy, agribusiness, crop sciences, application technology, or related field.
- Ability to understand and interact with agricultural technology equipment
- Exceptional understanding of row crop production agriculture
- Ability to work well in a highly collaborative and multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to work outdoors for extended periods of time in heat and humidity
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Experience conducting and evaluating weed control field trials
- Experience with pesticide application technology