We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team in the role of Sr. Data Pipeline Engineer. This position supports the See and Spray team within Blue River and collaborate with multiple groups within Blue River. Our ideal candidate (you!), is an amazing software engineer that will design, develop, test, and maintain data-driven workflows in the cloud supporting the operation of our See and Spray machines.
The most important requirement is that you are with an appetite to learn and make an impact! You are results driven and believe that delivering quickly and iterating on the solution is the most effective development pattern. You work collaboratively with your teammates and aren’t afraid to ask questions and challenge assumptions. You have an analytical mind and love to work with a lot of freedom to design and implement solutions. You are comfortable reading, writing, testing and maintaining OO code. You enjoy wiring up and automating workflows in the cloud to ingest and process logs, perform analysis, and support the workflows and tools of internal teams. You are passionate about your data pipelines transferring information correctly and efficiently.
You will work closely with Computer Vision and Machine Learning (CVML) engineers, roboticists, data scientists, product managers, and engineering managers. We can’t wait for you to join the team!
- Work closely with the data science and engineering team and the data platform team to implement automated data pipeline workflows in the AWS cloud to enable log ingest, processing, and machine performance introspection.
- Maintain and improve existing data pipeline and workflows, supporting production operations for See and Spray operations.
- Design, develop and maintain new and existing data pipeline workflows in Kubeflow, AWS Lambda, and AWS Batch for See and Spray
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of internal tools designed for robotics machine analysis and performance introspection
- Build prototypes and workflows to try out new ideas in a scrappy and iterative manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study (e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, etc).
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience delivering solid production tested code
- Strong coding skills in python (required) and C++ (required) and Go (desired).
- Experience with working with both SQL and non-SQL databases like MongoDB.
- Experience working with source control technologies like Git and Gerrit.
- Experience working with cloud technologies like AMS Lambda, S3, Kubeflow, AWS Batch
- Experience working in a fast-paced, iterative startup environment with constantly evolving requirements.
- Excellent communication skills; able to speak to both engineers and product managers and clearly communicate requirements and results to various partners in the organization.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; able to continually prioritize critical action items and deliverables in an independent manner
- Masters degree or PhD is preferred (e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Physics, etc.)
- Track record of delivering excellent, robust software
- Familiarity with agriculture technology, agronomy or farming.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.