We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are seeking a talented leader with expertise in robotics systems software to join our autonomy program that sits at the intersection of agriculture, robotics, and machine learning. Our autonomous tractor project has a tremendous potential to help farmers, to shape global farming practices, and to have a major impact on one of America’s most iconic brands. If that sounds interesting please read on.
- Lead, manage and grow a software development team of embedded and systems software engineers
- Advanced embedded software and robotics knowledge, experience building products from prototype through to production
- You will work in a fast paced environment where technologies are still being defined and developed, giving you the chance to influence.
- A leader that has experience and demonstrated success in leading and building high-caliber, results focused teams with diverse technical strengths and fostering an inclusive team culture
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other engineering discipline
- 8+ years of relevant experience with 4+ years leading SW teams working on complex projects in robotics or related field
- Experience in managing work in the areas of embedded systems, system software, and robotics
- Expertise in modern C++ and Python; experience in distributed systems, TCP/IP, Linux networking stack, and embedded Linux
- Experience with ROS / boost / Qt
- Experience with Agile software development techniques and fast prototype iterations
- Solid understanding of the software development process across the entire lifecycle
- Strong analytical skills, troubleshooting abilities and systems thinking
- Excellent leadership, management and communication skills
- Proven ability to take ownership, plan and execute, even in the presence of uncertainty
- Comfortable working in a dynamic start-up environment; ability to “roll-up your sleeves” and lead by example, when needed
- Advanced degree in CS or related technical areas; senior candidates are encouraged to apply
- Experience in real-time systems and working with hardware/sensor integration, such as GigE/USB3 cameras and GPS
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, DevOps and Big Data
- Experience with NVIDIA Jetson stack, GPUs, CUDA
- Familiar with modern automation and delivery tools like Jenkins and docker
- Experience developing GPU-enabled solutions:
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.