Field Data Capture Specialist- Construction
Blue River Technology
Blue River Technology serves the agricultural and construction industry by designing and building advanced machines that utilize computer vision and machine learning. These machines help customers to improve profitability, safety, protect the environment by reducing pesticide use, and capture valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies herbicide only where needed, and can reduce herbicide use 90%. Blue River also leads the development of autonomous systems for John Deere.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly, and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to areas in agriculture, construction and forestry.
Our office is located in Sunnyvale, CA with a satellite office in San Francisco and Austin, TX, and is home to 200+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
Blue River’s Field Operations team is seeking a Data Capture Specialist to provide temporary, seasonal support onsite at various construction sites throughout the United States. This work will be approximately 12 months in duration and will require a mix of construction jobsite and basic technology / software experience. It is possible the work could extend and/or convert to a permanent position.
This is an exciting opportunity to support field data collection for our cutting edge construction vehicle machine learning technology and gain valuable experience within the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Vision fields.
- Responsible for the daily collection of field data in various construction site locations within the assigned region; traveling between sites for scheduled data capture in partnership with John Deere dealers, customer-collaborators and the Field Engineering team
- Provide accurate data collection tracking on a daily basis utilizing software
- Ensure quality image capture of construction equipment, humans in the construction site environment, and other relevant images for machine learning are completed as per test plan requirements
- Complete consistent, timely transmission of data to centralized repository for utilization by various Blue River and/or Deere teams
- Effectively manage daily / weekly work schedule accounting for travel time, site availability, and weather variables to maximize productivity
- Represent Blue River and John Deere professionally, exhibiting great customer service, exemplary personal conduct, professional appearance and demeanor
- Work hours will vary as data capture requirements migrate between day/night/dawn/dusk and unique weather conditions. 8-10 hours days will be typical, including travel time to and from job sites. Saturday/Sunday availability may be required periodically for customer-collaborator worksite access.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Experience in construction operations including exposure to construction jobsite development or material handling, or any other relative work experience with construction equipment within construction, agriculture or forestry
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs; capable of working in physically demanding construction site locations for extended periods of time, during the heat of summer and the cold of winter
- Capable of using an interactive touch screen to set values, enter information via keyboard, and follow a series of steps by memory to set the machine requirements
- Familiarity with Google and Windows software for data management; eg. Sheets, Excel
- Ability to work autonomously; capable of completing work with little to no direct supervision while meeting project timelines
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills; fluent English speaker and writer
- Strong customer support & teamwork skills
- Able to travel frequently between job locations across the U.S.; vehicle, air travel, accommodations, etc. will be provided or reimbursed by Blue River
Preferred Skills & Experience (not required):
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system or ability to develop basic coding skills
- Experience in capturing / recording imagery data
- Experience or knowledge of precision construction equipment
- Experience or knowledge of Computer Vision technology
- Mechanical aptitude and comfortable working with basic hand tools
- Spanish speaking ability is a plus
This position is a full time temporary, non-exempt role and is not eligible for sponsorship or third party employment.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.