Intern - Mechatronics Engineering, See & Spray
We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to create intelligent machinery that solves monumental problems for our customers. We empower our customers – farmers, construction crews and foresters - to implement safer and more sustainable solutions, driving increased profitability and with less reliance on scarce labor. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and task-by-task - leads to big gains. With our partners at John Deere, we have the ability to bring innovative computer vision, machine learning, robotics, and product management solutions to scale production, maximizing their potential impact.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of mobile robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field and on-site to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on the planet.
We announced our flagship autonomous tractor at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2022 in collaboration with our parent company John Deere (CHECKOUT THE VIDEO HERE). We are looking for a Mechatronics Engineering Intern to join our high performing Robotics Hardware Systems team. You will be joining a world-class research and engineering team to provide critical skills in improving existing systems and pushing the boundaries of technology. The position will be based at our company headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA, with occasional travel to test out your work in agricultural areas locally and across the Midwest.
- Develop electromechanical designs with the computer and sensing system and integrate them onto different platforms
- Perform hands-on design work during the full product design life cycle, including requirements gathering, concept generation, detailed design with analysis, verification testing, and cross-functional reviews
- Assist other Software, Mechanical, Electrical and Mechatronic Engineers, through design reviews and collaborative interactions including brainstorming and troubleshooting
- Work in multidisciplinary project-based teams to explore new opportunities and transfer designs and manufacturing for use in other crops and in alternative applications
Required Experience & Skills:
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Exposure to design and manufacture of mechatronic systems involving sensing, actuating, and/or computing
- Exposure to design and manufacture of sheet metal assemblies and enclosures
- Exposure to electrical system integration including wire harness design and routing
- Exposure to debugging sensors and power systems
- CAD proficiency (preferably in SolidWorks)
- Excellent brainstorming, creative thinking skills, and communication skills
- Independent, results-oriented, and able to set and meet schedules in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- ROS, Python, and C++ experience
- Knowledge of Linux and/or real-time operating systems
- Design of agricultural equipment/machinery, hydraulic, and/or pneumatic systems
- Experience designing opto-electro-mechanical systems including motion control, vision systems, lasers and general optics design
At Blue River, we’re passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. While we have more work to do to advance diversity and inclusion, we’re investing in our programs, including recruiting, mentorship, career development, and learning & development to ensure they support our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission while collaborating with incredible people.
We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align completely with the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
The US base salary range for this position is $38.00 - $50.00 per hour
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
During the recruitment process, we may identify an alternative role or level which you are more suited to. If your ideal role at Blue River differs from the advertised position, we will provide an updated pay range as soon as possible during the hiring process.