We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
Would you like to join us in the shop to help us craft and build intelligent machinery that solves monumental challenges?
We are looking for an experienced mechanical engineer to be a part of our Robotics Hardware Systems team. The candidate will join an outstanding research and development engineering team to provide critical skills in improving existing systems and pushing the boundaries of technology. The position is located at our headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA, with occasional travel to test out your work in agricultural areas locally and across the Midwest.
The mechanical engineer will be tasked with designing, detailing, analyzing, and prototyping structures and assemblies. These test fixtures, prototype assemblies, and final products that will be used for validation and verification of creative uses for new technologies. Experience in electronics enclosure design for harsh environmental conditions is a plus. Harness design for durability and signal integrity, along with documentation of routing and build are a differentiating skill set.
We value a variety of voices. Even if you don't check every box, we would still like to hear from you.
- Perform hands-on, fast paced design development through the full product life cycle, including requirements capturing, concept generation, detailed design with analysis, verification testing, detail drawings, and team reviews
- Fabrication of parts, fixtures, and systems using in-house rapid prototyping equipment for design validation and rapid iteration
- Designing metal parts using machining processes, weldments, and sheet metal forming processes, including material and fastener selection.
- Designing electrical harnesses for power and data distribution, as well as routing
- Mid career Mechanical Engineer with BS from an ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering & Technology) accredited University
- Experience designing and building robust electromechanical systems in the agricultural, automotive, or industrial automation industry
- Strong CAD proficiency (preferably in SolidWorks)
- Excellent brainstorming, creative thinking skills, and interpersonal skills
- Designing and detailing of electronics enclosures and electrical harnesses, with connector/back shell selection
- Design of agricultural or automotive equipment/machinery, hydraulic, and/or pneumatic systems
- Experience with design and manufacture of weldment assemblies
- Environmental qualification of products for harsh environments
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model starting mid-July 2021 as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.