We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are seeking a Systems (HW) / Mechatronics Engineer to join an exciting new program that sits at the intersection of agriculture, machine learning, and robotics. Details are confidential but, similar to Blue River's existing See & Spray product, this program has tremendous potential to help farmers, to shape global farming practices, and to have a major impact on one of America's most iconic brands. You will be joining an elite research and engineering team to provide critical skills in improving existing systems and pushing the boundaries of this technology. The role will include work in the following areas:
- Develop electromechanical designs with the computer and sensing system and integrate them onto a new platform
- Perform hands-on design work during the full product design life cycle, including requirements gathering, concept generation, prototyping, detailed design with analysis, verification testing, and multi-functional reviews
- Assist other Software, Mechanical, Electrical and Mechatronics Engineers, through design reviews and collaborative interactions including brainstorming and troubleshooting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- 2+ years of relevant design experience in a corporate environment
- Experience with design and manufacture of mechatronic systems involving sensors, controllers, and motors
- Experience with electrical system integration including wire harness design and routing
- Direct experience testing and applying one or more of the following physical sensors: optical (laser, IR), ultrasonic, pressure, force, and inertial sensors, along with various forms of position encoders
- Experience debugging electromechanical systems
- Excellent brainstorming, creative thinking, and leadership skills
- Independent, results-oriented, and able to set and meet schedules in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Deep knowledge of sensors, including accuracy assessment, noise characterization and reduction, temperature compensation and signal processing
- 5+ years mechatronics experience
- Advanced engineering degree
- Python, C++ and/or embedded C experience
- Knowledge of Linux and/or real-time operating systems
- Design of agricultural equipment/machinery, hydraulic, and/or pneumatic systems
- Experience designing robotic localization systems, including motion control, computer/stereo vision systems
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We support each employee living a full life, enabling a thriving career and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission with incredible people.
We have designed our work environment to allow us each to do our work effectively, be our best selves, and be exposed to the unexpected connections and experiences that support creative innovation - all while leaving room for the other things you love.
We have been operating as “mostly remote” during the pandemic. As we transition back to the office, we are introducing our Workplace Flexibility Model. Most roles will be based out of our Sunnyvale office and balance in-office time with flexibility to support other needs you have in your life. This flexibility could be used to reduce the Bay Area commute burden by working from home a couple days a week, support parent or caregiver needs, or allow space for you to do the other things you love, whatever that might be! There are times when achieving great work is more productive when working where you work best. That’s the point of this model...flexibility for you. A few roles will be approved as fully remote. Those are determined by managers and approved by our senior team.
We anticipate following this flexibility model starting mid-July 2021 as we continue to follow local guidelines and protocol around COVID.