Field Application Engineers help develop, support, and maintain our next generation “smart” machines and play a key role in enabling further product development. The primary role of this position is to carry out in-field product feature testing, troubleshoot problems in the field and provide support and communication that leads to short-term and long-term fixes to the equipment. Tasks include coordinating logistics of test equipment, conducting test plans, performing root cause analysis and repairs, tracking issues and progress in fixing them, and communicating with customers, product managers, agronomists, and engineers on a regular basis.
- Conduct system- and feature-related hardware, software, and machine vision field tests of mechatronic machinery; provide detailed documentation of test execution and results.
- Provide in-field engineering support, including data collection, field test, troubleshoot, diagnose (sometimes resolve) and document all aspects of the products
- Share knowledge of customer needs to Product Management, Agronomy and Engineering by relaying customer observations, comments, and concerns regarding John Deere and Blue River Technology products and equipment
- Support Engineering in creating product documentation, instructions and guides
- Perform hands-on set-up, maintenance, testing and customization in the field per engineering test requirements
- Track and manage recurring issues, from problem identification to resolution
- Support development of new features and tools
- Transport and operate field test-related equipment as needed
- Collaborate with host cooperators to integrate test machines into productive field work
- May periodically support Field management with training, supervision and quality control of seasonal field personnel, testing and data collection activities
- Bachelor's degree or relevant work experience in Engineering, Agronomy, Ag Systems Technology or related technical area
- 2+ years in supporting / maintaining agricultural electro-mechanical systems
- Experience troubleshooting and working with complex systems involving software, electronics and mechanical systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong customer-facing skills & team-oriented mindset
- Willingness to travel up to 80% to the field to provide hands-on support
- Experience with Agricultural and/or Construction equipment and working with large machinery in the field
- Familiarity with Linux, simple script programming
- Experience in designing and executing design verification testing (DVT)
- Skills in programming and scripting languages such as Python
- CAD experience (e.g., SolidWorks)
- Safety training and certifications
Tools, equipment and vehicles are provided by the employer, and employer reimburses for all travel-related expenses.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate verbally, including listening and speaking. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing, often outdoors in cold and hot ambient weather conditions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. A collaborative and supportive environment contributes to making Blue River a great place to work.