We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to radically change agriculture by creating intelligent machinery. We empower our customers – farmers - to implement more sustainable solutions: optimize chemical usage, reimagining routine processes, and improving farming yields year after year. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and plant-by-plant - leads to big gains. By partnering with John Deere, we are innovating computer vision, machine learning, robotics and product management to solve monumental challenges for our customers.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of agricultural robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on agriculture.
We are seeking a Mechatoronics Engineer to join the autonomy program that sits at the intersection of agriculture, machine learning, and robotics. Similar to Blue River's existing See & Spray product, this program has tremendous potential to help farmers, to shape global farming practices, and to have a major impact on one of America's most iconic brands. You will be joining a world-class research and engineering team to provide critical skills in improving existing systems and pushing the boundaries of this technology. The role will include work in the following areas:
The position will be based at our company headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA, with occasional travel to test out your work in agricultural areas locally and across the Midwest.
- Develop electromechanical designs with the computer and sensing system and integrate them onto different platforms
- Perform hands-on design work during the full product design life cycle, including requirements gathering, concept generation, detailed design with analysis, verification testing, and cross-functional reviews
- Assist other Software, Mechanical, Electrical and Mechatronic Engineers, through design reviews and collaborative interactions including brainstorming and troubleshooting.
- Work in multidisciplinary project-based teams to explore new opportunities and transfer designs and manufacturing for use in other crops and in alternative applications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- 5+ years of work experience
- Experience with design and manufacture of mechatronic systems involving sensing, actuating, and/or computing
- Experience with design and manufacture of sheet metal assemblies and enclosures
- Experience with electrical system integration including wire harness design and routing
- Experience debugging sensors and power systems
- Strong CAD proficiency (preferably in SolidWorks)
- Excellent brainstorming, creative thinking skills, and communication skills
- Independent, results-oriented, and able to set and meet schedules in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Advanced engineering degree
- ROS, Python, and C++ experience
- Knowledge of Linux and/or real-time operating systems
- Design of agricultural equipment/machinery, hydraulic, and/or pneumatic systems
- Experience designing opto-electro-mechanical systems including motion control, vision systems, lasers and general optics design
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.