Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry with progressive computer-vision and deep learning-based equipment. These machines are changing the future of farming by enabling farmers to optimize every plant in their fields. Our technology dramatically reduces the amount of chemicals used, improves farmer profitability, and gathers valuable plant-by-plant data.
Our team comes from a diverse group of backgrounds in robotics, computer vision, machine learning, agriculture, and business. As a pioneer in the space, we have designed and deployed See & Spray machines that apply pesticide only where needed, reducing herbicide use by 90%. John Deere & Company, who brings 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, recently acquired Blue River Technology as an independently run subsidiary. This partnership will greatly expand the breadth of our team's innovations, reduce risk, and accelerate our joint vision.
We are seeking an exceptional Engineering Manager to join our Data and CVML Platform Team. This team is a dynamic team consisting of Software, Data and ML engineers, Data Scientists, DevOps, Product Managers and labeling experts.
This is a very impactful role within the platform team where the candidate will be working very closely with our program teams at Blue River to reduce cycle time and accelerate the model development lifecycle for the programs teams. The role requires an intimate familiarity with the CVML landscape, hands-on experience with building efficient workflows with re-usable lego blocks that can be flexibly glued together in numerous way.
To be successful, you will need strong leadership, time management and prioritization skills, excellent oral and written communication.
The experienced hand on leader is motivated by a high-performance culture that is rich in technical skills and critical thinking. This role is for somebody who has shown the impact that empowered, creative teams have on innovation and delivery, and who is eager to grow and lead with a bias for action and can-do attitude.
- Deliver a Data and CVML platform-as-a-service to our internal customers in order to help accelerate the CVML application development life cycle
- Lead the implementation of platform offerings to support diverse set of foundational capabilities including data ingestion, data governance, quality, privacy, lineage, transformation, annotation/metadata, exploration to model training, deployment, and monitoring
- Define a migration plan to move existing data and machine learning infrastructure from self-managed open source vendor ecosystems to managed solutions in hybrid Cloud
- Onboard and establish proceedures to run a successful offshore low cost development center
- Set clear goals to ensure rapid iterations of design and code and drive informed and timely decision making and delivery from the development team
- Collaborate on a joint vision for building capabilities around simulation and perception systems
- Recruit and nurture a multidisciplinary Platform Engineering team responsible for improving the fungibility and efficiency of our Data and CVML platform across the AI Pipeline, and across a variety of use case
- Balance innovation agility Vs platform scalability by building the right team and organizational structures that simultaneously enable rapid pilots along with automated, fully monitored data and ML pipeline workflows
- Develop effective partnerships with Blue River Program teams and understand their evolving needs
- Partner and collaborate with the Autonomy Developer Toolkit team to joint solve challenges of machine/hardware related simulations
- Coach and mentor the junior technical members of the team
- Participate in design and code reviews and build engineering rigor to ensure automated and scaled platform offerings
- Handle 1-on-1, reviews and performance management for the engineers reporting under you
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, graduate degree preferred
- 5-7+ years of demonstrated experience in Data, Machine Learning, platform engineering
- 3+ years of experience in a platform engineering management role
- Proven experience of delivery on large scale initiatives
- Experience with AWS or Azure or GCP or Databricks cloud platforms and services in the Data and CVML space
- Experience with DataOps and related set of practices, processes, and methodologies ( AWS SQL/NoSQL/time series databases, Kineses, Databricks etc)
- Experience with ModelOps and related set of practices, processes, and methodologies (MLFlow, Sagemaker, Kubeflow)
- Strong analytical, teamwork, leadership, critical thinking, multitasking and time management skills and the ability to influence successfully in a high matrix managed organization
- Experience in working with CVML & Robotics projects
- Experience in working with vehicle autonomy or agronomy space
- Formal people management experience is highly desired for this role
The US base salary range for this position is $165,000 - $308,000, along with eligibility for Blue River’s bonus and benefit programs.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
During the recruitment process, we may identify an alternative role or level which you are more suited to. If your ideal role at Blue River differs from the advertised position, we will provide an updated pay range as soon as possible during the hiring process.
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.