Software Engineering Manager, Robotics Software, See & Spray
Blue River’s Software Team is growing and we’re seeking an experienced Manager to lead a team of Engineers in the development of our revolutionary See & Spray precision weed control machine as we prepare to bring it to market. In this high visibility role, you’ll have the opportunity to work with key stakeholders at all levels within our company and deliver impactful results.
An ideal candidate for this role will have advanced technical competency across multiple domains including software development, hardware and robotics. Past work bringing products to market from prototype through to production is a must. Capability and enthusiasm for hands on technical work including writing code, code reviews and system design are all key skill areas.
- Lead, manage and grow a software development team of Embedded and Systems Software Engineers
- Own the professional development of Engineering team members facilitating organizational growth at scale
- Establish challenging but achievable goals that push the team and the company forward; support the team in achieving stretch goals
- Responsible for performance management, feedback and mentorship through the development and delivery of disruptive products
- Work closely with Product Management and fellow engineering leaders to develop innovative products from inception through to production that exceed customer expectations
- Facilitate communication, work planning and prioritization across teams in an Agile environment
- Guide and support fast-moving, multi-disciplinary teams delivering complex hardware/software systems
- Lead-by-example with architecture and code reviews that foster a design-for-team environment
- Accountable for lean, high speed execution and the reliable delivery of innovative software-enabled product capabilities
- Identify potential risks, assess their impact, and develop and implement mitigation and resolution plans and activities
- Communicate plans, track progress and provide updates to senior management
Hiring & Retention:
- Build the right teams for high performance execution; consistently able to meet and exceed organizational goals
- Create a work environment that fosters transparency, high performance, innovation and diversity
- Play an active role in recruiting, interviewing and hiring top talent for our teams
Requirement Professional Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other engineering discipline
- 8+ years of relevant experience with 4+ years leading SW teams working on complex projects in robotics or related field
- Advanced hardware and software domain knowledge, experience building products from prototype through to production
- Excellent leadership, management and communication skills
- Proven ability to take ownership, plan and execute, even in the presence of uncertainty
- Experience managing work in the areas of embedded systems, hardware-software products, system software, and/or robotics
- Solid understanding of the software development process across the entire lifecycle
- Experience with Agile software development techniques
- Strong analytical skills, troubleshooting abilities and systems thinking
- Comfortable working in a dynamic start-up environment; ability to “roll-up your sleeves” and lead by example, when needed
- Expertise required in modern C++ and Python; experience in distributed systems, TCP/IP, Linux networking stack, and embedded Linux
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or other engineering discipline
- Multi-disciplinary technical background is desirable
- Experience with precision agriculture equipment
- Experience with computer vision, machine learning, and edge computing technologies
- Scrum Master and/or product owner experience
- Experience with Quality Assurance and debugging
- Experience with infrastructure, DevOps and Big Data
- Experience with NVIDIA Jetson stack, GPUs, CUDA
- Familiar with modern automation and delivery tools like Jenkins and docker
- Experience developing GPU-enabled solutions
- Exposure to machine learning frameworks like TensorFlow and PyTorch
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
The US base salary range for this position is $160,000 - $230,000, along with eligibility for Blue River’s bonus and benefit programs.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
During the recruitment process, we may identify an alternative role or level which you are more suited to. If your ideal role at Blue River differs from the advertised position, we will provide an updated pay range as soon as possible during the hiring process.