We’re Blue River, a team of innovators driven to create intelligent machinery that solves monumental problems for our customers. We empower our customers – farmers, construction crews, and foresters - to implement safer and more sustainable solutions, driving increased profitability with less reliance on scarce labor. We believe that focusing on the small stuff – pixel-by-pixel and task-by-task - leads to big gains. With our partners at John Deere, we have the ability to bring innovative computer vision, machine learning, robotics, and product management solutions to scale production, maximizing their potential impact.
Our people are at the heart of what we do. Through cross-discipline collaboration, this mission-driven and daring team is eager to define the new frontier of mobile robotics. We are always asking hard questions, rapidly iterating, and getting our boots in the field and on-site to figure it out. We won’t give up until we’ve made a tangible and positive impact on the planet.
We are looking for a Sr Software Engineer to join our Data/CVML platform team at Blue River. The new employee will be in charge of creating brand-new data-focused online services, data-intensive applications, APIs, and data pipelines, as well as maintaining and enhancing current components. An experienced software developer with some backend or full-stack expertise who enjoys creating user-facing applications with a focus on data is the ideal candidate. They will support our Data Analysts, Data Scientists, and ML and Robotics Engineers by providing them with custom tools, automated background tasks, management applications, and dashboards. The Software Engineer must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the application needs of multiple teams, systems, and products. The ideal candidate will be passionate about creating rapid proof-of-concepts and iterating with stakeholders until the best solution is found. We would be interested in hearing from you if you are a driven Software Engineer with a solid background in data and a desire to develop effective and scalable data solutions. Join us to help create a data-driven future.
This position is eligible to be fully remote.
- Full-Stack Development: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and maintain robust, scalable, and user-friendly web and mobile data-intensive applications.
- Data Processing Applications: Build data processing applications and tools that enable real-time or batch data processing, visualization, transformation, and analysis to support business intelligence, reporting, and machine learning initiatives.
- Back-end Development: Design and implement server-side logic and APIs using languages like Python, Ruby, Node.js, or Java.
- Database Management: Develop and optimize database schemas, queries, and data models. Proficiency in SQL and NoSQL databases is a plus.
- System Integration: Build tools that enable users to easily move between different applications and platforms to utilize the strengths of each in a coherent ecosystem.
- Performance Optimization: Identify and address performance bottlenecks in data processing pipelines and applications, optimizing data access, query performance, and overall system efficiency.
- Data Modeling: Collaborate with data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to design and implement effective data models that facilitate accurate and meaningful data analysis.
- Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including data scientists, analysts, software engineers, and product managers, to understand data requirements and deliver data solutions that align with business goals.
- Documentation: Create and maintain technical documentation, including data flow diagrams, architecture designs, and standard operating procedures.
- Technology Evaluation: Stay up-to-date with industry trends and emerging technologies related to data engineering, recommending and implementing new tools and frameworks as appropriate.
Required Experience and Skills
- 5 or more years of experience building backend and/or web applications
- Has participated in the making of user-facing tools and infrastructure
- Has a track record of developing web API's
- Has experience with distributed compute preferably Spark
- Knows how to use git and/or other versioning systems
- Excited to work with farming robots
- Experience with Spark, preferably Databricks
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to troubleshoot complex data-related issues
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Attention to detail and commitment to producing high-quality, well-documented code.
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP) and containerization (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes) is a plus.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience with standard SQL and NoSQL databases (e.g., PostgresQL, DynamoDB, and MongoDB)
- Capable of making refactors / rebuild tradeoffs on active code bases.
- Can understand some C++ or Go, or talk with people that do.
- Prior experience in the autonomy and robotics space is a huge plus.
At Blue River, we’re passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. While we have more work to do to advance diversity and inclusion, we’re investing in our programs, including recruiting, mentorship, career development, and learning & development to ensure they support our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals. We support each employee in living a full life, enabling a thriving career, and accomplishing a meaningful, challenging mission while collaborating with incredible people. We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align completely with the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
The US annual base salary range for this position is $148,000 - $240,000, along with eligibility for Blue River’s bonus and benefit programs.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process. During the recruitment process, we may identify an alternative role or level to which you are more suited. If your ideal role at Blue River differs from the advertised position, we will provide an updated pay range as soon as possible during the hiring process.